Netscape Navigator - The No-Exit Option

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Jul 16 08:47:18 EDT 1999

I recently came across an option in Netscape Navigator 4.08 and Communicator 4.5
that allows you to create a Netscape session without a frame that will keep
persons from exiting Netscape without resorting to the Control Keys.  This
method relies upon the Netscape "Super Kiosk" command line option.  The "Super
Kiosk" mode, which creates a frameless browser window -- no frame, no menus, no
toolbars -- is invoked by adding "-sk" to the end of the command line for the
Netscape executable.

In Win95/98/NT,  go to your desktop icon for Navigator:
-select Properties
-select Shortcut
-modify Target by adding "-sk" after "C:\Program
Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe" so that it reads:

 "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe" -sk

Once launched, Netscape can only be closed using Control Keys or someother
keyboard combination, like Alt-F4.

If you would like to use this method but would like to include the toolbar for
patrons to browse, print, etc., set your home page using the "kiosk" method
described at:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/kiosk.htm

These two in combination will create a browser window that can not be closed by
mouse-click and yet still provides functionality for your patrons.  I will be
updating the "kiosk" page to reflect this method in the near future.  Please let
me know if you have and questions or comments.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI