Fail-over software

Laura Cohen lcohen at cnsvax.albany.edu
Tue Jul 6 10:27:12 EDT 1999

I'm looking for fail-over software for NT running IIS that will switch the
serving of our Web site from a primary server if it goes down to the backup
server. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So far, I've found CulsterCATS Enterprise from Bright Tiger, which does a
number of things including fail-over. The site description of this aspect
of the product explains just what I'm looking for:

"Enterprise can also provide automatic system fail-over without
administrator intervention upon failure, loss of network connectivity, or
removal for maintenance, eliminating                   downtime. Each
Enterprise server continuously monitors the availability of the other
servers. Any complete failure of the system hardware, operating system, IP
protocol process; or the disconnection of a server from the network will
initiate fail-over."

See http://www.brighttiger.com/products/default.htm. I'm not familiar with
this product, but it does look to me to be overkill. Also, the company
doesn't post any prices on the site, and this makes me nervous!

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

-- Laura Cohen

Laura B. Cohen
Network Services Librarian
University at Albany  Libraries
Albany, NY 12222                              518-442-3492
LCOHEN at cnsvax.albany.edu       518-442-3567 (FAX)