Response Summary: Deleting short history list fromNetscape location bar

Mary Hackett mhackett at co.montgomery.tx.us
Wed Jan 13 16:31:35 EST 1999

Mary Hackett wrote:

> Is there a way to delete the short "history list" that displays when
you
> click the down arrow at the location bar?.
> I've tried deleting the whole history file but the short list still
> appears.

 Thanks to all who responed!  Problem solved. Solutions below:
_______________________________________________-

_______________________________________________-
If you are running the newest versions of Netscape 4.08 - Under Edit
- Preferences - there is a button at the bottom of the first menu that
will allow you to clear the location bar.  If not, you have to try this:

This is a page I put together that describes how to clear the location
bar
in Netscape version 4.x:

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~nort/tech/location.htm

If that still doesn't help - it requires editing the prefs.js file - or,

if you are using an earlier version of Netscape, you'll have to go into
the Registry to clean things out - this even occasionally happens with
Netscape 4.x.  There is a link to the Netscape Knowledge Base page at
the
bottom of the page listed above but for convenience, the URL for that
page
is:

http://help.netscape.com/kb/client/961024-3.html

Let me know if that helps.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI

_____________________________________________-

I don't think there's a way with Netscape to clear the list. The only
solution I've found is to edit the prefs.js file,
and remove all the lines that look like this...

user_pref("browser.url_history.URL_1", "www.tug-libraries.on.ca");

The history list is recreated at startup based on this script. If you're

user has no write access to prefs.js, then each restart of Netscape will

start with no history being preloaded.

Don Hamilton(dhamilto at mach2.wlu.ca)
Information Technology & Librarian by Osmosis
Wilfrid Laurier University/Tri University Group
519-884-0710-x3336, fax 519-884-8023
_____________________________________________________-
In a word, YES!  This URL gives complete, clear, detailed instructions:
http://tln.lib.mi.us/~nort/tech/location.htm

It was posted on Web4Lib some months ago....
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
Email:  suekamm at class.org

Depends on what version of Netscape you are using.

If version 3, then in the netscape.ini file erase the URL history
section. It's very obvious and easy to do. Just be careful to NOT delete

the whole netscape.ini file itself.

If version 4, it's my understanding (I continue to use ver 3 because it
loads so much faster) there is an erase area under preferences, in much
the same way in WIN95 you have to go to the TASKBAR's second screen to
empty the documents file (if it has been configured originally to keep
documents).

I'm doing this without looking it up, but I do go into netscape.ini
about once per week just to erase everything. It will be recreated in
the next week's Internet use.

Good luck, etc...

Dave Davis