[WEB4LIB] Telnet and Fortres/Bypassing

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Wed Jan 13 10:09:29 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Newport Public Library wrote:

> Sue Pearce,
>
> Beware the telnet-Fortres combination. There is a way to bypass Fortres
> using telnet (specifically, EWAN's telnet program), cumbersone as it is.

Uh... um... how about telling us about bypassing Fortres, for all of us
who can't "beware the telnet-Fortres combination".

We HAVE to allow access to telnet.  Enough resources are still
telnet-only that it's not a choice. I _guess_ we could forgo it for our
catalog, since the last upgrade got us a webpac.  (We are using QVT/Term
as our telnet client).

I *DO* know you can bypass Fortres if you have a graphical FTP client (not
sure about a text-based client).  The students at our Circulation desk
figured that one out.  In WS_FTP, you can browse the files on the local
drive, and choose "execute", They were able to run Netscape this way,
after we had decreed that student employees were not allowed to browse on
the staff machine sitting in Circulation. (I had taken the Netscape icon
off of the desktop).

So, could you tell us HOW to bypass Fortres with a telnet client?  (Thanks
in advance).

- John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466