[WEB4LIB] Linking to numeric IP addresses vs. alpha in URLS

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Jan 27 20:57:33 EST 1999

Stacy Pober wrote:
> I was considering switching the alphabetic domain name with the numeric
> IP addresses in our links to these sites, but according to tech support
> at one of the vendors, they don't think this is a good idea, since
> they may switch servers (and thus numeric IP's) at times.

Stacy,

I'd go ahead with using the IP #s and not worry about the number-switching possibility. This is a non-problem. Many of the HTML authoring tools like HomeSite or HTMLpad offer global search&replace on multiple files, with wildcards, etc. So you can easily change multiple pages. There is also a freeware utility called "Search & Replace 98" <http://www.htmlworkshop.com/> that does global S&R on HTML files.

For additional S&R utilities, you can look at TUCOWS, in Windows95 section, under the HTML Accessories listing.

Cheers,
-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D./Oregon State Library/perez at opac.osl.state.or.us