[WEB4LIB] Printer Recommendations?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:10:25 EST 1999

I've networked 3 HP5Si, 2 HP6MP, 1 HP4000N and getting ready to add
another 2 HP4000N and 1 HP8000.  I haven't used duplex on any.  I have
between 5 and 10 workstations connected to each printer and 20 connected
to one of the HP5Si.  I've found that if you use the HP Jet Admin
software, at least in my case, use the newest possible version.  I've
had conflicts with Netware Client 32 with early versions of  HP Jet
Admin and had to reinstall Client 32 because the HP Admin software wrote
over certain Novell dll files.  I think version 3.3 is the newest
version of HP Admin and has installed with no conflicts.  Overall I've
been very pleased with the Networked HP printers.  I would suggest using
the Postscript driver rather than the PCL driver on the workstations.
The postscript driver allows you to print the page reduced in size from
the original.  In specific cases I found this useful when graphics and
tables were wider than the actual page width in Netscape which normally
would just be cut off when printing at 100% .

As far as Medline, if you are using winspirs, webspirs, or website there
should be no problem printing.  If you are using DOS Spirs program, the
instructions for setting up the printer driver say to choose NO for
printing from DOS.  If you are using Netscape clients you may want to
make patrons aware of the print preview option to see how many and which
pages are going to print.  I've had a lot of paper go to the recycle
bin.

Go to www.hp.com to get the newest HP Admin software.

Thomas