Simple script for executable file? Is there such a beast?

Carl Todd ctodd at shaysnet.com
Wed Jan 27 09:18:09 EST 1999

I have had success launching programs from a web page while running
Netscape (on Windows 95).  I simply associate the executable file
with a new file extension then create a file with that extension and
create a web page with a link to that file.  Programs have run fine
for me.  This would be pretty easy to impliment on a stand-alone PC
but a bit trickier to do across a network.  If all the networked
PC's were set up the same way, I suppose you could create a file to
update all the registries (a "*.reg" file) -- search the registry
for the new file extension and you'll see the changes that need to
be updated on each PC.

Here's an example:
1.  in Netscape's preferences, select the "applications" section and
add a new "type" and give the file extension something obscure like
"zq1" and choose the desired application to run when that file is
loaded.
2. create a web page with a link to somefile.zq1
3. click the link and the program runs.

--Carl Todd
  Reference Librarian
  Westfield State College