printing from IE 4.0

Michelle C. Miller Shutt mmshutt at richland.lib.sc.us
Tue Jan 26 14:38:13 EST 1999

Apologies for cross-posting.
I have a feeling I already know the answer to this, but it's worth a try.  We are in the process of upgrading many of our staff and patron PC's from  75Mhz Pentiums to 200Mhz +.  In addition, we're beginning to replace IE 3.0 with IE 4.0.  On the old computers (with the older browsers) when you click on the Print button (or go to File|Print|OK) a dialogue box would appear that said something like "formatting...pages..1.-X." with a Cancel button to cancel printng.  With the newer computers and browser, this dialogue box doesn't appear. I suspect that this is because of the increased speed of the new computers and that there is nothing we can do to ensure that the dialogue box continues to appear.  Does anyone know whether that's the case?  Some of the staff and patrons wish to keep that box since it's the only way to know beforehand how many printed pages a web page is going to print.  Additionally, since patrons are used to seeing that dialogue box, we've had some situations where a patron keeps hitting the print button (with a 20 page web page!) because he didn't realize that it had actually printed. At any rate, once we know for sure that the dialogue box is gone (if that's the case), we can begin re-educating staff and patrons.

Thanks for any info, you can reply off-list.

Michelle C. Miller Shutt
Technology Support Librarian
Richland County Public Library
1431 Assembly Street,