[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape profiles vs. logon ID

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Jan 12 03:47:24 EST 1999

James Klock,

Thought you might want this tidbit of info.

I haven't made any special login scripts but according to what I've read you
use a .bat extension by default unless you want to make the login mandatory by
creating the file NTuser.man.   From a book I have,  "Although users with
mandatory profiles may be permitted to modify their desktops, changes are not
saved to the profile.  As a result, the user always logs on with the same
environment settings."

Another book has a note  "Warning: You should not use the user environment
profiles to start a program when the users log on unless the profile somehow
depends on the user's name.  The Startup folder provides a much easier method
for running programs automatically."   But it sounds like your use does depend
on the user's name.  I've been looking into using the logon script myself
specifically to copy a default bookmarks.htm file to the public workstations,
but the newest version of the Client Customization Kit allows you to set a
default bookmark file.  The problem is that the newest Client Customization Kit
only supports Communicator and not the standalone Navigator.  Netscape told me
that Navigator 5.x will be supported by the CCK.

Thomas