PC Secutiry (Again)

Jim Rosaschi jimros at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Fri Jan 22 18:27:16 EST 1999

We recently purchased a Centurion Guard, which seems to be working well.
This is a security hardware device, which looks and sounds pretty silly,
but...
...it seems to work as advertised

The device plugs into a floppy drive cable connector inside the computer,
and also into a keyed lock which is mounted in a normal slot cover on the
back of the PC.

With this device properly installed and locked, any and all disk changes are
written to temp files which are erased each time the computer is rebooted.
 When
the lock is on, no permanent changes to the hard drive are permitted.  When
the registry does its thing all day long, those changes are written
temporarily.
If a hacker gets in, all changes are only temporary.  When the machine boots,
it does so from protected versions of the necessary files.

Our current application is on a juvenile CD ROM workstation, but we will
soon be testing one on a public web workstation, and expect it to work well.
It seems to work best if installed on a clean computer with all applications
loaded after installation of the Centurion Guard.  Yes, it is a bother.

Naturally, we are using ours with WinSelect for the greatest degree of
security overkill possible.  So far, it all looks pretty good.

Info at:
http://www.centuriontech.com/
1 800 547-5342

Jim Rosaschi