More MSIE 4.5 for Macintosh Problems

Michael J. Dargan miked at tsaw03.wplwloo.lib.ia.us
Fri Jan 22 16:23:14 EST 1999

We're trying to offer MSIE 4.5 and NCSA Telnet on PM 7500s with Mac OS
8.5 and while it's a slick program, we're having troubles locking things
down as well as we could under Win95.

I'm trying to prevent our patrons from

1) Adding to favorites

        I've tried locking the favorites.htm file, but they still
accumulate.  I'm able to remove the "Favorites" menu, but they still are
available via the fly-out menu (see below).

2) Accumulating History

        I've set the history down to "3" rather than "300," but would
like to see a way to eliminate it entirely.  When I set it to "0" the
"back" button doesn't work.

3) Using the "Search" button that makes the window pop out from the left
margin of the MSIE window.

        My big problem with this one is that it allows patrons to leave
additions to "favorites."

4) Using the "Preferences" button.

        I can use Resedit to hide the "Preferences" menu item.  However,
the button still works.  I've found that if I drag the MS Preferences
onto the desktop the preferences are effectively disabled.  However, I
can no longer close MSIE or NCSA Telnet without closing my At Ease
session.

I'm gong to accumulate answers to these and other questions and will
create a web-based guide to locking down MSIE 4.5 on Macintosh.

Thanks for any and all help.

--mike