[WEB4LIB] Web Gateway vs Catalog

Mary Pagliero Popp (812) 855-8170 popp at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 26 10:57:02 EST 1999

Actually, this is a question that will concern many of us. I would be
grateful for some discussion on the list.

For example, how would answers to the question differ in a University
Library instead of a special library?

Do people really know how to use catalogs effectively enough for the
catalog to serve as a gateway?

How would the contents of the catalog have to change for the catalog to be
a gateway as well?

If we try to use both web page and catalog, as most of us are currently
doing, what criteria should we use to determine which information goes
into which resource and which information should be duplicated in both
resources?

Mary
Mary Pagliero Popp, Library Information Technology Services
Indiana University Libraries, Library E456, Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 855-8170    FAX: (812) 856-4979   popp at indiana.edu