[WEB4LIB] Washington Post seeks info "impact of technology on

Robert J. Tiess rjtiess at warwick.net
Thu Feb 25 21:42:26 EST 1999

This reminded me of something I meant to ask Web4Lib members a while
ago:  Does anyone here factor website usage numbers into circulation
and/or reference statistics?  I have met with several colleagues on
this matter in the past, and there has been some deep discussion as to
what constitutes use/circulation and the potential analogues web pages
are to their informational counterparts in print.  While website
statistics are not necessarily accurate gauges of what is being used
and how often, I believe they are potentially critical components in a
library's overall usage statistics.  I'm thinking more along the lines
of server logs, versus public page counters.  Circulation stats can be
comparably inexact, especially considering those items accessed
in-house but never checked out, and not only reference works.

Robert Tiess
rjtiess at warwick.net