[WEB4LIB] Web Site Statistics

Karen Harker kharke at mednet.swmed.edu
Thu Feb 25 13:07:38 EST 1999

We have been looking for this as well, but what we have found replaces the original URL of the link with the URL for the application, and it passes the information onto a datbase, then moves the user to the site they wanted.  For instance, a user clicks on 'Yahoo!' to get to 'www.yahoo.com'.  With a link stats application, the URL would be '/cgi-bin/stats?www.yahoo.com...'

This greatly screws up any site management you may have had.

We will be using a similar set up with the help of ColdFusion.  However, we are using it only on selected links for a set period of time.  We will use it to see if certain links are being used.

That's the best we have found.

Karen R. Harker
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75235-9049
214-648-5073
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> David Fulton <dhfulton at law.syr.edu> 2/25/99 11:44:47 AM >>>
Hello,

We are interested in finding a program that will help us keep track of
usage statistics for each link on our web site. This would be a tool for
determining which links we should keep over the long term and which
to delete.  We currently use Web Trends but this only keeps stats for
pages, not individual links. I would be grateful for any
recommendations. Thank you.
--
David Fulton
Electronic Services Librarian