XML Book

Edward H. Summers esummers at odu.edu
Thu Feb 25 12:41:07 EST 1999

For a conceptual overview of XML I would recommend XML PRIMER by
Simon St. Laurent. It is well written, fairly short, and is an
all round good intro to XML.

Another one that I've just got, and am enjoying is XML APPLICATIONS
edited by Frank Boumphrey. It is more practical, and covers all the
bases (XML, XSL, Schemas, Namespaces, etc.)

But if you aren't afraid of programming and you are interested
in learning about the nitty-gritty of (mainly freely available)
XML/SGML tools I would recommend UNDERSTANDING SGML AND XML TOOLS:
PRACTICAL PROGRAMS FOR HANDLING STRUCTURED TEXT by Peter Flynn. It
is an excellent guide to SGML/XML tools by somebody who has watched
the field develop.

I read the rave reviews about the XML HANDBOOK in the Goldfarb
series, and went out an bought it. But for some reason I couldn't get
into it, and it has been retired to the bookshelf only about 1/8
read.

Ed Summers
Electronic Resources Cataloger
Old Dominion University Library