citation databases for libraries

laura hudson hudsonl at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Feb 23 15:06:55 EST 1999

Hi folks,

I did a search in the archives for this and didn't find much, so thought
I'd ask.  What kinds of database software are people using for the creation
of citation databases/indexes in-house?  Is anybody out there shipping the
data to a larger company, perhaps one of the companies which specializes in
citation database interfaces?  I've seen mention of Access, Filemaker, SQL,
and Inmagic.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of these seem to be meant,
exactly, for library purposes--the first three are business tools, and the
last is more for serving up text and images and isn't cheap.

I suppose it makes sense for the chosen software to be web-available.

I ask because I've been using Access by default for a project of mine (I
didn't have a budget and we owned it).  But now it looks as if there's more
of these citation databases being created in-house, and we want to choose
the best, not just the cheapest.

If you reply to me privately, I'll send a condensed summary to the list.

Thanks in advance,

Laura Hudson,
Ohio University Libraries
hudsonl at ohiou.edu