[WEB4LIB] Mixing character encodings in a page - problem with latin-1

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Tue Feb 23 08:56:52 EST 1999

At 08:21 PM 2/22/99 -0800, Edward Spodick, HKUST Library, 2358-6743 wrote:
>I am trying to figure out how include an umlaut character on a
predominantly Chinese language page.  The 'u' with umlaut is represented as
'ü' in latin-1, but the page is using big5 coding.  UTF-8 might
recognize it, but I can't find anyway to make it all work together.
Anyway, suggestions are welcome.

You could try using an HTML entity:
works on most browsers.  Also, you can try using <div charset=[language of
many browsers will recognize it).

TTFN,
David
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
   http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/
javascript list administrator:
   http://www.mountaindragon.com/javascript