Ref: NT, Adobe reader and IE

Susan Wheeler Reference swheeler at UBmail.ubalt.edu
Fri Feb 19 09:34:33 EST 1999

We have a Windows NT network.  We are placing course reserves on the web
using the pdf format.  Many of our students after configuring Netscape
(4.5) to open the pdf files with Adobe Acrobat get an error message
stating that Internet Explorer cannot initialize the cache and that we
need to restart IE.  The we get a blank Adobe screen.  We are able to save
the pdf file and then open it, but of course we prefer to have the file
open immediately.

We are hoping to disable IE, but don't know when our computer support
people can tear themselves away from Y2K issues.  Will that solve the
problem?

I am aware that there is security software that can be purchased, but so
far our support dept has discouraged that because NT has its own security
features.  (And yes, I have seen that the NT security can be bypassed.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Susan Wheeler
Langsdale Library