[WEB4LIB] RE: OCLC and Browser versions

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Thu Feb 11 12:46:23 EST 1999

At 08:33 AM 2/11/99 -0800, Michael Sauers wrote:
>> I just don't understand what OCLC could not do with HTML 3.0 that is so
>> critical, so important?  Without the CSS or HTML 4.0 tags they will not be
>> able to deliver some information AT ALL?  I find that hard to believe.
>
>I believe that it has to do with the Java and/or JavaScript implementations
>in the site, not the HTML or CSS.  However, I have not yet seen an exact
>technological answer from OCLC yet as to why the browser requirement.

I do hope they know that Java and JavaScript implementation is not
consistent, even among 4.0 browsers (Mac vs PC vs Unix versions for
instance), and if they are relying that completely on Java, that means I
will definately have to upgrade memory and CPU etc as the older, slower
machines with low memory usually run most Java apps very slowly.  This
"upgrade" of their service will actually mean a downgrade for many, as they
will now find access to OCLC FirstSearch slower, and more problematic: many
Java sites will increase the chances of a crash of a browser or a computer,
especially a computer that is used often and by many different users
opening and closing and opening and closing browsers and telnet apps as
they search and use various different databases or online services.  And as
more and more information services implement Java, the more likely the
going back and forth between the various Java implemented services will
cause a browser and/or computer crash.  On a computer that is just
dedicated to OCLC FirstSearch only and no other services, sure, maybe it'll
work better, but on an average Reference computer, even one with decent
memory and CPU speed, I see nothing but added problems and more work ahead,
and increase frustrations for users.

And I would like to see what their answer is to why this is so critical and
important to do to enable access to their service that they can only offer
a 4.0 browser version or a telnet lynx version.  With intelligent and
professional coding, they can have a page that works in both 3.0 and 4.0
browsers, that "degrades" nicely to non-Java enabled browsers and still
offer access to their services.

TTFN,
David Merchant
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
   http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/
javascript list administrator:
   http://www.mountaindragon.com/javascript