URL maintenance in WebPAC (Innopac)

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Thu Feb 11 11:05:43 EST 1999

After the flurry of messages about this topic yesterday, I received mail from
a couple of people asking for more details. Re-reading my messages, I may have
been a bit overzealous with my comments (I tend to be somewhat sarcastic, and
often exaggerate for effect).  While I still have legitimate beefs with
certain portions of the Innopac system (I'm a bit of a stickler for clean HTML
and validation, although not quite to the extent Thomas is), I don't mean to
dissuade anyone from considering it, or imply it's any worse than other
product. No library system is perfect, however. DRA; Innopac; Voyager; GEAC;
each has its share of problems, and clients will continue to voice their
opinion.

While I may slag Innopac from time to time, I guess in its defence I should
say that most of the staff who deal with it on a daily basis seem generally
happy with the system. Programmers. well, we're another kettle of fish aren't
we. Very hard to please. (complain constantly about Netscape and Microsoft,
yet we keep using Netscape and/or IE every day).

Although very passé for today's time, I feel the need to emphasise that my
opinions, especially those voiced in a public forum such as WEB4LIB are, of
course, my own, not those of my employer.

- Darryl

   Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
   Consulting & Development                     http://gollum.usask.ca/
   Department of Computing Services                 163 Murray Building
   University of Saskatchewan                              Main Library