Internet Explorer 4 printing problem

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Feb 9 11:16:41 EST 1999

I am finally satisfied with my Internet Explorer 4 configuration, with one
remaining problem: I can't print anything.

I am running NTW4/SP4 with IE 4.01 and Adobe Acrobat 3.02 (with the OCX file
required for IE4).  I am not using the Active Desktop.  The public account I am
using has the same name and password as an account on the PC with the printer.

Printing a Web page brings up the printer dialog, and there is no indication of
any problem, but no printout either.

Printing from Adobe Acrobat gets me "The document could not be printed.  Write
error." followed by "Could not start print job."

Printing from Notepad results in "The RPC Server is unavailable."

I am able to print from admin accounts.  Auditing for read/write failures shows
that it had problems accessing Acroread.ini and Msimgsiz.dat, so I gave it
change access to those, and also opened up inetcpl.cpl.

It also complained about the Url, Mshtml and Shell32 DLLs, but it already had
read access to those.

This happened before I actually ran my file and directory permission scripts,
so perhaps it's a Registry access problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org