[WEB4LIB] Re: Purpose of library websites

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Feb 17 10:49:15 EST 1999

For those interested in seeing some great design elements in action, take a
quick trip over to Toni's site.  Among the good design principles at work:

1)  Consistent use of graphics and fonts -- the "global" menu at the top of
the page is present on each page -- allowing the visitor to quickly move
between sections of the site.  Also, the section you are currently in is
highlighted, giving the visitor an indication of where they are at in the
site.  This menu is repeated at the bottom of the page in text -- or, in
some sub-sections, replaced by a local navigation menu.  The fonts are
consistent throughout the site and are crisp and easy to read.

2)  The main library graphic doubles as a link back to the home page.

3)  Good use of white space making the text easier to read.

4)  Selective use of graphics that add highlights to the page but do not
dominate the page or replace text elements.

5)  Almost all the links include short descriptions, including the global
menu graphics, so visitors don't have to guess what phrases like "Reference
Area" mean or where links like "CityFolk" might lead to.

The only additional elements that would be helpful would be:

A)  A place for visitor feedback -- ideally, this should be provided from
each page and can be done with a generic mail form and script.

B)  The ability to search the whole site -- there are a number of ways to do
this -- and again, this should probably be provided on every page.

C)  It is helpful on those pages with information that is regularly updated
to include a "last updated" note so that visitors know how "fresh" the
information is.

D)  The main graphic could probably be optimized for a quicker download --
but, the large file size is offset by the fact that this and other graphics
are "recycled" throughout the site, taking advantage of the browser's
caching feature, to speed page loading.

I think the easiest way to determine if your site is well-designed is to
think up about a dozen "hypothetical" nuggets of information that a visitor
to your site may come looking for.  Next, run through your site and see how
easily you can locate this information relying on just what's displayed on
the page -- better yet, get friends and colleagues who are not familiar with
the design to do it for you -- and see how quickly this takes.  If you or
your testers have a hard time, it might be time to re-examine how your site
is layed out.

I think two of the best resources for web site design and usability -- and
the two concepts are inseparable are:

Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

and the Web Architect columns and others at Webreview.com -- start at:
http://webreview.com/wr/pub/Navigation

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library