using Citrix WinFrame/MetaFrame for remote access to CDroms

Kerry Bouchard BOUCHARD at LIB.IS.TCU.EDU
Tue Feb 16 14:41:52 EST 1999

    I am interested in hearing from anyone who is either using, or has
evaluated using Citrix WinFrame or MetaFrame servers and clients to provide
remote access to CDrom databases.   Ideally, we would like to have links
to CDrom databases on our web menu that would let people directly run CDrom
applications over a PPP connection, using a client that users could download
and install without support from the library (the Java client?).

    Both the Citrix documentation and what I've looked at so far regarding NT
Terminal Server edition seem to be oriented towards enterprise-wide deployment
of thin clients, where what we're thinking of doing would be much more
narrowly focused -- we're just looking for the easiest way to make a variety
DOS and Windows-based CDrom databases available to off-campus users (plus
on-campus Macintosh users).  After a quick tour of the Citrix web
site and some quick looks at articles on NT Terminal Server edition, I'm
confused both about the choice between WinFrame versus MetaFrame (which is
better for this kind of use?, cheaper?) and of clients (for example, what is
the difference between the "ALE plug-in" clients and the Java applet?).

   If anyone has tried this and is willing to share their experiences,
positive or negative, I'll be grateful.

                             Thanks,
                                 Kerry Bouchard, K.BOUCHARD at TCU.EDU
                                 Assistant University Librarian for Systems
                                 Mary Couts Burnett Library, TCU