Position Openings - Plattsburgh State University of New York

MUIRGD at SPLAVA.CC.PLATTSBURGH.EDU MUIRGD at SPLAVA.CC.PLATTSBURGH.EDU
Sun Feb 14 16:35:02 EST 1999

Date sent:  14-FEB-1999 16:34:12

Plattsburgh State University of New York
Library & Information Services
http://www.plattsburgh.edu

The Division of Library and Information Services at Plattsburgh State
University invites applications and nominations for THREE positions in
Feinberg Library. We seek individuals who place a premium on initiative,
creativity, and commitment to working in a shared-decision making group
environment. CORE RESPONSIBILITIES are shared by Feinberg Librarians:
instruction, service at the reference desk, collection development and
liaison to academic departments, and divisional programmatic group work.
Individuals with experience in multicultural and multiracial settings are
particularly encouraged to apply. These are faculty positions with attendant
expectations for professional competence, service and scholarship.

Library and Information Services comprises Feinberg Library, computer
support services, campus information systems, media services, and
instructional technology. The division is user-centered and highly respected
for its automation, instruction initiatives and patron services.

INFORMATION LITERACY LIBRARIAN (PJ#2276-LST)

outstanding information literacy programs including developing and planning
for the implementation of information literacy across the curriculum, a key
initiative in the College's Strategic Plan. The library's current program
consists of a one-credit course that is part of the General Education
program, course-related instruction, and network and applications instruction.
This position, along with the Instruction Services Group, is responsible for
developing an overall cohesive instruction program, developing assessment
tools and methodologies, keeping library faculty apprised of new directions
and pedagogy in information literacy, and exploring applications of
technology to the information literacy program. Core Responsibilities as
described above also apply. Reports to the Dean of Library & Information
Services.

Qualifications: Required: A Master's degree from an ALA accredited
institution; academic library experience which includes active participation
in an information literacy program; demonstrated knowledge of current
information literacy theory and practice; demonstrated success as an
instructor of information literacy; outstanding interpersonal, communication
and organizational skills. Preferred: Experience with planning, implementing
and assessing information literacy programs; experience with group work;
scholarly contributions to the literature of information literacy.

Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track
appointment. Minimum salary: $38,000; rank commensurate with experience.

INSTRUCTION LIBRARIAN (PJ#2274-LST)

issues of instruction and information literacy. Works with the Information
Literacy Librarian and the Instruction Services Group in planning, program
development, implementation, teaching and assessment of the information
literacy program. Core Responsibilities as explained above also apply.

Qualifications: Required: A Master's degree from an ALA-accredited
institution (to be completed by August 15, 1999), an interest in information
literacy and teaching, an interest in exploring applications of technologies
to information literacy (e.g. web-course development) and outstanding
interpersonal and communication skills.

Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track
position at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary: $36,000.

PATRON SERVICES LIBRARIAN (PJ#2275-LST)

Library Patron Services unit (circulation, electronic media and print
reserves, stack maintenance for all collections, and tours). Oversees the
activities of two part-time evening/weekend professionals and four full-time
staff who manage operations at three public desks staffed by 70 students.
This position, along with the Patron Services Group, is responsible for
developing programmatic initiatives and planning for all areas of patron
services within the Library and Information Services division, including
computing services and media services. Expansion of electronic reserve and
migration to a new automated circulation system are current initiatives.
Core Responsibilities as described above also apply. Reports to the Dean of
Library and Information Services.

Qualifications: Required: A Master's degree from an ALA-accredited
institution; significant experience in an automated circulation environment;
demonstrated management/supervisory experience; knowledge of database
management; an ability to seek new ways to expand access to on-campus and
distance students, faculty and staff; and a demonstrated commitment to
public service and an understanding of user needs.

Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track
position. Minimum salary: $38,000; rank commensurate with experience.

Applications from women and minority candidates are especially welcomed.
Plattsburgh State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity
employer.

Plattsburgh State University is a comprehensive institution with 270 faculty
and 5500 students. The college is located in the northeast corner of upstate
New York in the historic and beautiful Lake Champlain Valley nestled between
the Adirondack Mountains of New York and the Green Mountains of Vermont.
Accessible by air, rail and car, Plattsburgh is a one-hour drive from Lake
Placid, NY; Burlington, VT; and Montreal, Canada.

Review of applications will begin on April 1, 1999 and continue until
positions are filled.  Please send cover letter, vita and names and
telephone numbers of three current references to:
		Chair, Search Committee PJ#_______-LST
		c/o Personnel, Plattsburgh State University of New York
		101 Broad Street, Plattsburgh, NY  12901-2681
		Fax#  (518) 564-4600

||  Gordon D. Muir		     Associate Librarian 	       ||
||  Feinberg Library 329             (518) 564-5304 (voice)            ||
||  Plattsburgh State University     (518) 564-5209 (fax)              ||
||  2 Draper Avenue		     Muirgd at splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu  ||
||  Plattsburgh, NY 12901	      				       ||