Timing out Win95 NetScape users w/ Linux firewall

Josh Kuperman sar_kuper at sals.edu
Thu Feb 4 11:56:26 EST 1999

I hope that Linux list starts up soon.

I am looking at Cybrarian, WinU etc. In an attempt to do away with
sign-in sheets and to automatically time user sessions.

I have some PCs running Windows95 that are intended to be used
exclusively for web browsing. I am using ipfwadm with ip masquerading
on a private subnet and a squid proxy server to provide access to the
internet. Part of my purpose was to keep these public machines away from
our NT Server and internal computing.

All of the standard Windows95 software that supports logging and
timing out seems to expect either a Windows or NT machine. (I could
be wrong) Other than configuring every machine as a stand alone are there
ways to limit,login and timeout patrons through a Linux server.

Are there some simple ways to login and time out users on a windows 95
machine, that is connected to a Linux server.

--
Josh Kuperman        Saratoga Springs Public Library
sar_kuper at sals.edu   49 Henry St