[WEB4LIB] Re: web publishing process

Vidar Ringstr|m vidar at larvik.folkebibl.no
Thu Feb 4 10:38:30 EST 1999

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Mark Gooch wrote:

> Thanks for providing me with an opening to ask a question I've been
> wondering about.  What I am interested to know is are people concerned about
> the "bloated" files and less than clean HTML code produced by some of the
> HTML editors (Netscape Composer, Front Page, etc.) in this type of
> situation.  I've been contemplating whether to have staff here create pages
> on their own with Composer or some other editor.  I'm concerned that the
> less than stellar code  which is created (and I don't consider myself an
> HTML "purist") will eventually fill our server with files which are larger
> than necessary.  Also, when people run into coding problems I will likely be
> the one who has to hunt through this code to find the problems.  What do
> others think about this?

A partial solution might be to run the files thru John Walkers perl script
"Demoroniser". Described as an application that:

"correct moronic and gratuitously incompatible HTML generated by
Microsoft applications"

it's found at:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

Mvh
---------
Vidar Ringstr|m            Larvik bibliotek
Tlf: 33 18 63 01           Boks 2001 Stubber|d
Fax: 33 18 79 05           3255 Larvik