kiosk

Avi Janssen avi at spertus.edu
Thu Dec 16 20:12:25 EST 1999

I need to create a secure, tamper-proof kiosk that runs only Netscape or
Internet Explorer and is restricted to one particular web page and several
sub-pages.

* I successfully locked-down the PC via user profiles and system policies so
that the desktop is completely empty.
* I read the great tutorial on kiosking Netscape at
http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/netscape.html.  From there I also learned
how to limit the user to that one particular site.

* But I still need to navigate WITHIN the site, so I need the navigation
bar.  Therefore super-kiosk mode won't help.  And then I'll need to disable
or remove all the buttons except Back, Forward, and Home.
* And I still need to disable the Close command with the mouse or Alt-F4.
* And I would like a way to idiot-proof my machine.  In my setup, you still
have to log-on and type in "password" as the password.  Any other ideas?
Any way to automatically reboot the machine if it freezes?  I heard about
Rebound! (http://www.sophisticated.com/software/sw_pkrb.html), but that's
only for Macs.  I'm looking into DeepFreeze and WinSelect by Hyper
Technologies (http://www.hypertec.com/).  Any other ideas?

Avi Janssen
Information Services Manager
Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies