[WEB4LIB] Use of underlining (was "Web design question")

Erwin Wodarczak ewodar at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Dec 16 12:49:58 EST 1999

I'm one of those people who turns off underlining on their browser.  I
find that underlining tends to clutter up a page.  But, to each his/her
own.

An alternative to underlining, especially on light type or if you're
using a non-standard link colour (especially if it's a lighter colour),
is to put all links in bold-face.  See http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/
as an example.

David Seigel (of "Creating Killer Web Sites" fame/infamy) advocated
using red for unvisited links, arguing that it's a "hot" colour, so
attracts attention better than "cool" blue.  I tried setting my browser
that way - I took one look, thought "yuck", and switched my browser
preferences back.

As always, YMMV.

--

Erwin Wodarczak
Records Analyst / Archivist
E-mail: ewodar at interchange.ubc.ca
WWW: http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/

"We do precision guesswork, based on vague assumptions and unreliable
data of dubious accuracy"