[WEB4LIB] Web design question

Pam Davies lib6pmd at LIBRARY.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK
Thu Dec 16 07:23:47 EST 1999

On 14 Dec 99, at 10:12, Andrew Mutch wrote:

> Regular readers of Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox column will be familiar with a
> recent column where Mr. Nielsen explained that bad designs can become
> defacto web standards if enough web sites adopt them.  See:
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/991114.html
>
> One example he provided was the blue "link" color, which he argues is a
> poor color choice in terms of readability.  However, because it is
> essentially a standard, a site that uses other colors will suffer in
> usability because web users are conditioned to view blue colored text as
> hyperlinks.

I found it very surprising that although he mentioned the color as a
"standard" he didn't mention underlining of text as an even more
standard "here is a link" indicator.  Some colour  changes are too
subtle to be noticed easily, especially in a "light" type like larger
fonts of Arial, making links very tricky to spot.  I have no problem
with the choice of colour for links, but I prefer them underlined!

Pam