CSS after width attribute in a table

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Wed Dec 15 09:16:27 EST 1999

I've been trying to streamline my style sheet a little bit, and I've
discovered that, in Navigator 4.0x, font-family declarations defined in a
body selector are not inherited by elements that occur after a table that
contains a width attribute. Everything works fine without the width
attribute.

Here's an example to demonstrate what I'm talking about; a very simple
html document with an equally simple style.

	<head>
	<title>Test Page</title>
	<!--
	body, td {color: black;
		background: white;
		font-family: sans-serif
		}
	-->
	</head>

<h3>A level three header following the table without a width
attribute</h3>

<h3>A level three header following the table with a width attribute</h3>

If you copy this and view it with Navigator, you'll see the problem.

I know Navigator is rife with CSS incompatibilities. I know about the
problem with inheritance in tables, which is why I include the td selector
along with the body. But I just can't imagine why a width attribute would
stop inheritance after the table.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Has it been fixed in later
versions of Navigator? (I stopped using Navigators later than 4.08).

Aside from enclosing the entire page in a table, or listing every element
that is used in the page with a font-family declaration, is there a way
to make this work?

Thanks,

Bob Long, Eastern Shore Regional Library, Inc.
Automation Technical Assistant
410 479 0776	(v)
410 548 5807	(f)
bob at esrl.lib.md.us