Historian software

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Dec 9 19:46:01 EST 1999

I coulda swore I posted on this two days ago, but response has been nil and
I don't see the message.  If I overlooked it, I apologize for repeating
myself.

Does anyone out there have experience with the software program Historian
(published by the Fortres company)?  I'm particularly interested in how well
Historian tracks all types of computer use, is it network-friendly, what
does it consider a user, and how it exports data.  I am also interested in
alternative software. (For our intranet and extranet, we are relying on
Webtrends to give us a picture of "user sessions," however
not-quite-accurate it may be... however, we provide access to other tools,
such as word processing, which we do not have data on.)

The *reason* I am investigating this is that Historian was mentioned by name
in a memo discussing measuring user sessions for a possible new state report
statistical area.  I was asked to comment on this report, and would have
anyway. I'm all for electronic measurement, and think that shaky data is
better than no data at all, but before thousands of libraries dash out in a
panic to purchase this software, I'd like to do more background
investigation, from Them What Knows.

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director of Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org