[WEB4LIB] Page redirects (was LibraryLand Index update)

Pam Davies lib6pmd at LIBRARY.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK
Tue Dec 7 12:32:49 EST 1999

> Does anyone have any input or opinions as to the best method I should use?
>  I want to insure that users get to the new page, but I want them to also
> realize that the URL has changed.

I used to believe in redirects everywhere, but now favour a good
helpful 404-message (see http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/x ) which
will, one hopes, get people to update their bookmarks!  It also means
that any linkchecking software will find and report the dead links.

Despite emails to sites known to have links to us, we still get an
alarming number of "failed requests" for the "CURL" pages which moved
from our site in 1997 and the "library gateway" we dismantled and
replaced in summer 1998, as well as people following links to the
URLs we changed this summer.

Pam