wireless within a building

David Whelan david at ofaolain.com
Sat Dec 18 11:13:40 EST 1999

The SMU School of Law Underwood Law Library (Dallas, TX) has a RadioLAN
wireless installation with 50 antennas circulating for student use.  The
network has 16 access points and was about $30K to implement (including
hardware and electrical), as opposed to estimates starting at $500K to get
the same coverage.  It's been very successful and gives 10 Mbps from any
seat in the library.  (http://www.radiolan.com).  I've recently left the
library but would be happy to discuss this further off-list.

I was involved in a presentation last year at ALA on wireless in libraries.
Our presentations are online at http://www.ofaolain.com/profdev/ala99 and
the Public Libraries Association http://www.pla.org did a tech review of a
broad number of wireless implementations in libraries this fall.  Jim
Barrentine is a consultant you might want to contact, as he is quite
familiar with wireless in libraries (whose e-mail address I can't find but
who I think is on this list).

Regards, David.
                                        David P. Whelan
E-mail: david at ofaolain.com                   Home: http://www.ofaolain.com
Voice: 847.679.1206                                               Fax:
708.876.0775