[WEB4LIB] Re: "books on the floor" metaphore

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Fri Dec 10 13:11:04 EST 1999

At 10:05 AM 12/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm surprised that no one has yet taken this metaphor to task. The
>Internet is nothing like a library -- not even one with all the books on
>the floor or one that has been vandalized. I think I hardly need to
>explain what I mean to this crowd. So I'm surprised that some of us feel
>like using this metaphor when it is insulting to all that libraries are.
>How about "Doing research on the Web is like asking people randomly on the
>street." Now *that's* more like it.

Except those random people are putting up books, whether printed by big
concerns or self published, on the web, or putting up other information
which can indeed be found in print in a magazine, book, etc in a
library.  So in that manner it is like one put together by packrats and
vandalized nightly.  As with all metaphors and analogies, you can't carry
it too far, of course.

TTFN,
David
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
Javascript list administrator <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/>
Merchant's Encyclopedia of HTML <www.mountaindragon.com/html/>
Personal Page <www.mountaindragon.com/merchant/>