[WEB4LIB] Re: "books on the floor" metaphore

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 10 13:05:59 EST 1999

I'm surprised that no one has yet taken this metaphor to task. The
Internet is nothing like a library -- not even one with all the books on
the floor or one that has been vandalized. I think I hardly need to
explain what I mean to this crowd. So I'm surprised that some of us feel
like using this metaphor when it is insulting to all that libraries are.
How about "Doing research on the Web is like asking people randomly on the
street." Now *that's* more like it.
Roy