IE 5/NT installation problem

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Fri Dec 3 15:15:40 EST 1999

>1. When a non-admin user opens the program, there comes a message saying
>that only administrative users can use the Internet Connection Wizard. But
>since the machines are already on the campus network, that's unnecessary --
>clicking "OK" brings up the default microsoft page as usual.

I don't usually see this, because I use the custom install option and I don't
check the box for ICW.  This past week, however, I have been experimenting with
Office 2000 and noticed that when I installed NT4/SP6a, IE 5.01 and then
Office, I ended up with an icon on the desktop which called the Internet
Connection Wizard.  I got the same behavior you described; I could bypass it
and told it not to ask again.

Office 2000 will offer to install IE 5 if you don't have it.  I'm not sure why
it thought I needed the ICW when there already was a network connection.

If you look at Tools | Internet Options | Connections, there are some settings
for ICW.  You might see if something needs to be turned off.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org