Netscape Navigator 4.08 and ProQuest Direct

rpage at okstate.edu rpage at okstate.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:32:59 EST 1999

Hi! I have been following the discussion below with some interest. Now
I have a question, since we ran into a new problem with Netscape!

We have been using Navigator 4.08 (the standalone version) for awhile,
with no problems, but yesterday we noticed that when accessing a full
image (PDF) at the ProQuest site, the document will appear, something
will continue to load, then everything on the right-hand side of the
window will disappear. We have verified this behavior on both our
public workstations and on a few staff machines that are using this
version of Netscape. This problem does not happen with v4.61 of
Communicator, at least not on the staff machines that we checked, nor
with v5.x of Internet Explorer.
   The only new thing (very visible, anyway) that I can see at the
ProQuest site is a "Page Control" area in the left-hand frame, when
viewing the full image document.

Has anyone else run into this? If so, how have you dealt with it?
ProQuest initially told us that we can make a change to how Acrobat (v4)
is set to respond to browser requests, but this throws up a number of
dialog boxes that may confuse the patrons. At our second call, ProQuest
indicated acknowledgement of the problem and said they would look into
a resolution.

Thank you,
     Richard

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
 Richard M. Page
 Library Systems Department, 224A Library
 Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078-1070
 (405) 744-5347 Voice (405) 744-7579 Fax
 E-Mail: rpage at okstate.edu  URL: http://el0455.lib.okstate.edu/

                    Andrew Mutch
                    <amutch at waterford.        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    lib.mi.us>                <web4lib at webjunction.org>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    web4lib at sunsite.be        Subject:     [WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape Communicator floating
                    rkeley.edu                toolbar (fwd)

                    12/03/1999 09:31
                    AM

The best solution to this problem is to upgrade to the Standalone version
of Navigator - release 4.08.  This has all of the mail and editor functions
stripped out including the floating tool bar.  Also, this version of
Navigator is the most stable available, especially in implementation of
Java and JavaScript support. <SNIP>