Ideas for Large File

Kathy Gaynor kgaynor at library2.webster.edu
Thu Aug 26 14:38:03 EDT 1999

Oh wise ones...

We have a list of all of our library's videos in a large WordPerfect file.
This document is over 700 pages when printed out.  While all of these
materials are fully cataloged in our Dynix catalog, some years ago a
decision was made to compile a separate list to make it easier for our
faculty and students to consult.  We have also made some lists of videos on
various subjects (for examples, see
<http://library.webster.edu/vidindex.html>) again for the convenience of
our clientele.

Enter the Web...

Our Dynix catalog (called EDWARD) is accessible over the Internet, but
limiting to videorecordings is not an easy task and not readily grasped by
our patrons.  In a few years, we will be switching to Innovative Interfaces
as part of a statewide initiative.  Until then, we are contemplating
putting our big, hairy video list up on our website.

We pace back and forth...

Some suggest we make it accessible as a .pdf file, which would require the
Adobe Acrobat Reader software.  Others suggest we slap some html code at
the beginning and end and make it a web document.  Either way, patrons
could use the Find feature to search by keyword.  I know that some of you
have used MS Access to make such files into searchable databases and have
discussed putting these on the web in previous messages.

What say ye...

What would you suggest based on your own experiences and expertise?  I
would appreciate any ideas that you could send my way.  Thank you very much.

Kathy M. Gaynor, Reference Librarian		Eden-Webster Library
(314) 968-6950					475 E. Lockwood Ave.
(314) 968-7113  fax					St. Louis, MO  63119
kgaynor at library2.webster.edu