[WEB4LIB] Marking up documents

Steven C. Perkins sperkins at andromeda.rutgers.edu
Thu Aug 26 11:55:41 EDT 1999

Marion (and others interested in markup of legal text):

You want to talk to Nick Finke, "Nick.Finke at law.uc.edu", of the Center for
Electronic Text in the Law, "http://www.law.uc.edu/CETL/" and to Thomas
Bruce, "tom at barratry.law.cornell.edu" at the Cornell Legal Information
Institute, "http://www.law.cornell.edu/lii.html".  You should also
subscribe to the DC-general discussion group (send an email to
"mailbase at mailbase.ac.uk" with "subscribe dc-general your name" as the
message) and join the discussion on types of documents.

Use of the Dublin Core to markup and describe legal docs is an area of
interest for me.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Steven C. Perkins

At 05:40 PM 8/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I would be interested in finding out if anyone has tackled and solved the
>problem of automatically marking up specific elements within a judgment (or
>any electronic document) in such a language so as to enable automatic
>importation into any database, or to enable information sharing between
>organisations regardless of proprietary software.
>
>For example, the Court's judgments (and those of many other courts) contain
>standardised information such as Medium neutral Citation, Judge, Date of
>Judgment, Place of Judgment, Cases considered, etc.
>
>HTML does this to a certain extent in that it marks the beginning and end
>of specific elements within a document, eg. <body></body>, but is not
>software independent, i.e. a web browser has to be used to interpret the
>markup, and the tags which can be recognised are limited.
>
>I believe XML might be the answer. I have found plenty of sites which give
>testimonials as to the use of XML in business when they are wanting to
>transfer information from one system to another, or from their internal
>system to the Internet. But have been unable to find any instance if it
>being used in a library to mark up specific elements within standardised
>documents so as to enable information sharing accross platforms and
>software types.
>
>Any leads would be most welcome.
>
>Sincerely
>
>Marion Haworth
>Systems and Projects Librarian
>Web Site Administrator
>Federal Court of Australia
>http://www.fedcourt.gov.au

Steven C. Perkins			sperkins at andromeda.rutgers.edu
User Services Coordinator        http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~sperkins/
Ackerson Law Library             http://info.rutgers.edu/RUSLN/lawlibrary.html
Rutgers School of Law-Newark http://info.rutgers.edu/RUSLN/rulnindx.html
Newark, NJ 07012              	VOX:973-353-5965 - FAX:973-353-1356