[WEB4LIB] Changing the default "page not found" page?

John C Harvey jharvey at irving.lib.tx.us
Thu Aug 26 10:10:45 EDT 1999

Spencer Gasson wrote:

<snip>

> The error message that people get is just the default*.  I know there
> must be a way of changing this (and incorporating some elements
> to help me track down where the reference to the missing page came
> from) but I wondered if anyone had done this or had some examples
> on their site?

<snip>

Go to Plinko at: http://www.plinko.net/404/index.asp

There you will find more examples of customized error messages--humorous,
pathetic, and downright odd--than you can shake a stick at. The site's 404
Lab also gives instructions on how to change your site's error messages,
along with configuration details for many different types of servers.

----(Imagine a fancy inline graphic here.)----

John C Harvey
jharvey at irving.lib.tx.us

"There must be more to life than having everything."
--Maurice Sendak

The views and opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
official policies of the Irving Public Library or the City of Irving.

Contents under pressure