[WEB4LIB] Re: Coughing up Coffman

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Aug 24 14:28:57 EDT 1999

At 08:27 AM 8/24/99 -0700, Roy Tennant wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Karen G. Schneider wrote:
>
> > Apathetic? O.k., I'll bite.  Some of the ideas were fun.  But some of
>[more at http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9908/0201.html ]
>
>For those Web4Lib readers wondering who called anyone apathetic, please
>see the PubLib posting at:
>
>http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/PubLib/archive/9908/0291.html

Well, I think apathy describes the reactions all over.  There has been an
attempt to get such a discussion going on pacs-l, and it, too, has met with
apathy.  Maybe people don't care.  Maybe people are too busy with "back to
school" activities.  Maybe people are burned out.  Maybe they figure their
opinion won't make a damn bit of difference, at least in this forum.

In my experience on a multitude of library lists the things that really get
people going (other than Dr. Laura and filtering) are the discussions of
"how we do it good in Podunk" or "how should I do such and such" (when
there are differences of opinion).

Other than that, Karen has indeed described it correctly.  Apathy.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165