[WEB4LIB] Services to wireless patrons?

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Fri Aug 20 15:23:37 EDT 1999

Dear Bill,
I have just finished a web document for the Public Library
Association on Wireless Networks. I found a few in public
libraries and many more on college campuses. The PLA
Tech Note on Wireless isn't posted yet, but I expect it to be
shortly.
Here's one URL that talks about the Wireless network in
Wisconsin between a public library and a local university.
http://library.uwsp.edu/pcl/wireless.htm
HTH, at least a bit.
GraceAnne (sig file way below)

> Our college is a IBM Thinkpad University.  We will (as of the end of
> business today) have over 700 students with IBM Thinkpads.  The campus is
> fully wired (at 10 MB shared capacity) in the academic buildings with
> internet cafes and lounges in several buildings around campus including the
> library.  The dorms will be fully "wireless" by the end of the month with
> access via a wireless Raytheon network card for each laptop(at 2MB shared
> capacity).
> Is anyone else doing this and what special library services are being
> offered to such wireless users?
>
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
> Past President, SUNY Librarians Association (SUNYLA)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> E-mail: drewwe at morrisville.edu
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
> Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/>
> LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
> SUNYLA: <http://www.albany.edu/library/sunyla/>
> "It's All About Where You're Goin' -- SUNY Morrisville"
> --

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Editorial & Web Consulting, New York City
ladyhawk at well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

We're ridin' out tonight / To case the promised land.
Bruce Springsteen