[WEB4LIB] Pixel sizes for web pages

Eric (Eric Rogers) Eric at KCLIBRARY.ORG
Fri Aug 20 09:11:01 EDT 1999

If your page is well-designed it shouldn't matter what the user's resolution
is - good web design practice dictates that the page be flexible enough to
adapt the environment it is viewed in.  Many PCs are still shipping from the
manufacturer at 640x480 - and most end users don't know how to change their
resolution (or don't even know that they can change it).

While many PC users may be moving to larger resolutions, other smaller Net
appliances like WebTV, PalmPilots, and even cell phones are proliferating
rapidly.    I see the user base diverging - more PC users with 800x600 and
beyond, and more small-device users with something significantly smaller
than 640x480.  If you are not being pulled in both directions you will be
soon.

 Eric Rogers
 Internet Services Administrator
 Kansas City Public Library