[WEB4LIB] Pixel sizes for web pages

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Aug 19 09:05:50 EDT 1999

You may want to consult the Web4Lib archive for comments from the last
few merry go-rounds on this topic.

You asked for opinions; you can decide for yourself whether these are
learned:

    Monitor size in inches is different from monitor size in pixels,
    which is different from window size in pixels, which is different
    from the rendered size of a browser's default font.  Not only are
    these four measurements different, they operate almost wholly
    independently of each other.  So a statement like "I have trouble
    reading text at 600x800" puts the blame in the wrong place.

    HTML inherently has no sense of screen or window dimensions.  Many
    web designers will argue that the only aspects to a page with fixed
    pixel dimensions should be inline images; such designers typically
    restrain their use of images so that no single image or horizontal
    chain of images is wider than, say, 550px (with obvious exceptions
    for sites like image archives where the main purpose of a page is
    to display a larger image).  Outside of images, find ways to
    express measurments relative to window size (percentages) or
    relative to text size (ems).

    Users detest horizontal scrolling.

    In my experience, users with higher screen resolutions and/or
    larger monitors are less likely to run any application full screen;
    average window size on a 1280x1024 19" or 21" monitor is very
    likely to be less than 800px wide.  (The browser window I currently
    have open is 587px wide and 737px high.)

    I applaud your decision to support Web access for the visually
    impaired.  Since that entails much, much more than monitor
    resolution, I trust the people actually writing your pages are
    familiar with the Web Content Accessibilty Guidelines.

    It is actually possible to design web sites that are equally
    usable, even equally beautiful, under a wide range of viewing
    conditions.  Failing to accomplish that completely is
    understandable; failing to identify it as a goal is not.

My recommendations to your committee would be A) find a starting point
that isn't tied up in presentational nitpicking; B) find a design that
looks attractive anywhere from 550 to 1550 pixels wide; C) crank up
both your workstations' resolution and font size; and D) continue to
run your browsers in windows that are approximately 600 to 640 pixels
wide.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu