[WEB4LIB] Scanning Resolution

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Aug 17 19:35:36 EDT 1999

At 01:12 PM 8/17/99 -0700, Grace Agnew wrote:
>Best practice is to scan at an acceptably high resolution and store the
>high-resolution scan for the future.  Why?

Again, I think the issue is WHAT you are scanning and WHY.   When we scan
aerial photo images of Idaho taken in the 30s for archival purposes (a
currently grant-funded project), we do them at maximum resolution and keep
them as tiff files.

However, if I'm just scanning a photo to use on a web page .... say ones
we're now doing for a "virtual library tour" that some colleagues are
developing.....then high resolution is irrelevant.  We just want something
that will show a patron standing in front of the circ desk with his ID
being handed to a staff member, or something equally ephemeral.  Those get
scanned at low res, compressed into a jpg and look just fine on a web page.

I imagine there could be purposes in between the archival and the
ephemeral, though I don't right now know what they are.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165