RealPage

Donald Barclay donaldb at library.tmc.edu
Tue Aug 10 11:43:59 EDT 1999

Last year, Taylor and Francis, which publishes several medical journals,
announced that its online journals would be available only in RealPage
format. A lot of medical librarians, including me, screamed bloody murder.
We didn't want to have to deal with another product that did almost the same
thing as AAR and only added another layer of confusion for our users. T&F
backed down and made their publications available in both RealPage and .pdf
formats.

For my money, there isn't much difference between Adobe Acrobat Reader and
RealPage. I suppose some purist out there will argue that RealPage is
superior, but there is something to be said for that fact that a lot of
people already have AAR on their computers, that they use it sucessfully,
and that it does the job for them.

Donald A. Barclay
Houston Academy of Medicine-       always the beautiful answer
Texas Medical Center Library           who asks the more beautiful question
donaldb at library.tmc.edu                                   -- e. e. cummings