[WEB4LIB] ESOTERIC LIBRARY FAQs

Carole Leita leita at wenet.net
Thu Aug 5 18:36:00 EDT 1999

I don't know about any academic ones, but in public libraries we call them
fugitive fact, tickler, ready reference, etc. files, and here are three we
have in the Librarians' Index to the Internet.

Fugitive Fact File - http://www.hennepin.lib.mn.us/catalog/fff_public.html
         Locate hard-to-find and elusive information on thousands of topics
using this database. All
         of the data and resources collected here have been used by library
staff to answer reference
         questions. Results include answer, source, date, and Web site, if
pertinent. Since it's
         maintained and regularly updated by Hennepin County Library (MN)
staff, many of the files
         are Minnesota specific, but there are plenty of answers to
questions asked in all libraries.
         Most libraries maintain a fugitive facts file but not many have
put it on-line for
         world-wide access!

Ready Reference Files - http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/
         With a database subtitled Tricky-to-Find Information, Santa Cruz
Public Library joins the
         growing list of libraries converting their "fugitive fact" or
"tickler" card files to electronic
         databases. Searchable or browsable, and containing lots that's
useful to all, this is
         definitely the place to start for that elusive California
information such as what E Clampus
         Vitus is, a list of all the state librarians, and what Filoli
stands for. Links to pertinent Web
         sites, when available, are included.

Reference Department Rolodex -
http://www.ci.clearwater.fl.us/intra/rolodex.html
         Reference "tickler" or "fugitive facts" file done by the
Clearwater Public Library (Florida).
         Sources and dates of update given. Some information specific to
Florida, but enough
         general information to be useful for browsing or a specific search.

Best,

Carole

Carole Leita, leita at wenet.net