[WEB4LIB] RE: Y2K and 486's

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 16:30:41 EDT 1999

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 lkleckner at park-ridge.lib.il.us wrote:
> Just because a PC fails the "rollover" test, and many of them do, does not
> mean that it will not keep correct time and date when manually set. I would
> think that there are many other reasons for replacing 486's, this doesn't
> have to be one of them, unless you need an excuse. . .

Especially if the old PC is being used in a scenario where you don't give
a fig about what the date/time is set to.  We've probably got loads of old
PCs on campus who's RTC batteries died years ago but are still fine for
capturing data from remote devices, acting as non-quite-as-dumb-as-a-real-
dumb-terminal dumb terminals, etc, etc.  In some ways Y2K hysteria is good
news for some of us as these sorts of machines are often being retired
before they otherwise would and can be nabbed by those of us who know that
Y2K problems aren't an issue in some applications.

Now I'm just looking forward to Windows2000 so that loads of the Pentium
machines get retired - they'll run Linux just great... ;-)

Tatty bye,

Jim'll