creating RTF files on the fly?

Kenneth R Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.EDU
Mon Aug 2 11:30:17 EDT 1999

Hi folks --

Does anyone know of a good way to create RTF files on the fly (e.g. from
database output)? Our online ILL form writes to a database that is in turn
read by our ILL staff is cgi-generated HTML pages & printed out, but HTML
is just a little too wiggly to come out looking just like the regular ILL
forms. I'd like to make the formatting a little more consistent.

One solution that occured to me is to output as SGML >> DSSSL >> RTF, but
(a) that's a little arcane
(b) I don't know if i can do it all on the fly. (ie, ILL staff clicks on a
web link and up pops the RTF file).

I'm hoping someone has a better solution before I try implementing that
bulkier one.

Thanks,
ken

[/|\]  Ken Irwin  -=-  kirwin at wittenberg.edu  -=-  (937) 327-7594
|-+-|  Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian
[\|/]  Thomas Library, Wittenberg University