[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 1547

Monica King moniking at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:05:39 EDT 1999

hi greg and all,

first, my thanks to andrew mutch for his credit to me for my development of
an authentication method that is simple and (hopefully) easy to maintain for
system librarians such as yourself.

i discussed this concept earlier this month with karen schneider who is
including some of the information i am about to tell you here in her
upcoming column in american libraries.

after trying to develop a method for several years that was independent of
the information aggregators and automation vendors,  i came up with a method
that i decided to patent for several reasons.  first, after numerous trial
and errors, the process i currently use works very well for not only my
library's needs, but for other libraries that i 've worked with in solving
the authentication problem. and since the u.s.p.t.o. has begun allowing
internet-related inventions to be patented, i thought "why not?" (regardless
of how tim berners-lee feels about such patents,  i think they actually help
not hinder the online industry. and they are the only way for a small
inventor to protect his/her intellectual property.)  secondly, while many
library vendors do provide authentication methods (generally based on
proxy-servers) they are costly.  or it is difficult to even determine the
cost of their authentication service since pricing is built into another
product.  and finally as well as most importantly, after sitting on a panel
of colleagues discussing this very topic at ALA this year, i realized that
is librarians themselves who often have the best solutions to our problems.
i know it may be unrealistic to believe that little librarians can compete
with the corporate giants, but i am eternally (yet not foolishly) optimistic
about the pool of talented people working as library professionals.

so here's my attempt to jump into the fray with the big boys,
http://remoteauthentication.com
at the bottom of the home page there is a link to the script I gave to
andrew mutch (and others) that you are welcome to copy, edit and use. good
luck.

monica king